Pages

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Guided Reading Crates

I am a few days early posting for this week, but my hubby and I will be celebrating our anniversary (15 years!!!!!) later on this week and I am hosting an Origami Owl party on Saturday. Have you seen the charms and necklaces from Origami Owl? I love them! I went to a party in May and I decided to host a party and hopefully will be able to get some more items either free or at a reduced price. Here is what I bought. It has a charm for each of my boys, the initial of my last name, and a red heart. I got the red heart to symbolize heart awareness.


Yes, my hubby and I have been married for 15 years!  I really feel like it is a testimony to other couples that it is possible to stay married when you commit yourself to your spouse. We have had our ups and downs, but we strive to make things work. We have three "handsome" boys, and I look forward to many more years with my hubby and watching my boys grow up. Below is a detailed description of the guided reading crates that I made for my classroom last year. I know that this was pretty popular last school year, and it was all over Pinterest. In case you missed it, here is how I made mine. Have a great week!


I saw this idea on Pinterest and wanted this for my classroom. I made six crates for students to sit on. You need to purchase the following:

6 plastic crates (3.47 each at Wal-mart)
3.5 yards of fabric ($15-20)
Spray adhesive (5.97)
Heavy duty staple gun (7.88)
Ribbon (1.97)
Plywood (half an inch deep - around $9)
Foam (9.97)
Staples ($2.88)

I went to Lowe's and bought a 2' x4' of plywood. The gentleman cut it to fit perfectly at no charge. I only used half of the plywood that I bought. I also took a crate into the store for him to use for measuring. I cut out the foam to fit on the plywood. I sprayed the adhesive on the plywood and placed the foam on top. Allow it to dry for two hours. Cut the fabric so that a few inches are present all the way around. Staple the fabric to the plywood. I cut a piece of ribbon and looped it and stapled it underneath the plywood. Place you seat in the crate. You can also use the crates for extra storage. Simply use the ribbon to pull the seat up. I have also seen images where people have shaped the ribbon across the seat. It can be an expensive project but I really like them and look forward to using them!

No comments:

Post a Comment