Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Guided Reading Crates

I saw this idea on Pinterest and wanted this for my classroom. I made six crates for students to sit on. You need to purchase the following:

6 plastic crates (3.47 each at Wal-mart)
3.5 yards of fabric ($15-20)
Spray adhesive (5.97)
Heavy duty staple gun (7.88)
Ribbon (1.97)
Plywood (half an inch deep - around $9)
Foam (9.97)
Staples ($2.88)

I went to Lowe's and bought a 2' x4' of plywood. The gentleman cut it to fit perfectly at no charge. I only used half of the plywood that I bought. I also took a crate into the store for him to use for measuring. I cut out the foam to fit on the plywood. I sprayed the adhesive on the plywood and placed the foam on top. Allow it to dry for two hours. Cut the fabric so that a few inches are present all the way around. Staple the fabric to the plywood. I cut a piece of ribbon and looped it and stapled it underneath the plywood. Place you seat in the crate. You can also use the crates for extra storage. Simply use the ribbon to pull the seat up. I have also seen images where people have shaped the ribbon across the seat. It can be an expensive project but I really like them and look forward to using them!

No comments:

Post a Comment